Commercialchrome postcard featuring the Cumberland Valley State Normal School's gymnasium
13.5 x 8.5 cm
The gymnasium, now known as Stewart Hall, was built in 1894. The building was named Stewart Hall in 1950, when it was dedicated to former faculty members John Keats Stewart and Harriet Wylie Stewart. In 1916, when this postcard was produced, the gymnasium had an indoor track and was used for men's and women's physical education classes. The original campus complex, including Old Main, Horton Hall, Stewart Hall, Gilbert Hall, and the Martin House (the president's residence), has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is known as the Cumberland Valley State Normal School Historic District, reflecting the university's original name.